Sunday, January 24, 2010

2010 is a point of view


It’s been 8 months, 25 days and 18 hours since my last blog post. I know, that goes against every bit of blogging etiquette, and I have no real plausible excuse. My only reason for neglecting the pleasure of writing my blog is that 2009 sucked. Yes, sucked. And to sit in front of a computer and bemoan that fact just seemed too depressing for me and anyone who happened to read it.
So instead of writing, I relied on my other great passion to get me through … music. For the last eight months I reveled in losing myself in songs. It’s amazing how easy it is to find solace in music.
We choose songs to:
Enjoy our happiness (James Brown - I Feel Good),
Lift our spirits (Walkin’ on Sunshine- Katrina & the Waves)
Get pumped up for a big game (BEP – Let’s Get It Started)
Celebrate a victory (nothing does that better than Queen’s We Are The Champions)
And, of course, to make us cry - because misery loves company, and a good song is always a welcome guest.
Songs that have helped me wallow in self-pity over the years include At Seventeen by Janis Ian (the epitome of teenage angst), Don Henley’s End of the Innocence and more recently Soulmate by Natasha Bedingfield.
Even Taylor Swift helped to numb the pain with White Horse “I’m not a princess, this ain’t a fairy tale. I’m not the one you’ll sweep off her feet.”

But 2010 is all about having a different point a view. It took a very special friend to remind me that music and songs play a role in every part of our lives and nothing warms your heart or gives you goose bumps like a song that seemed to be written specifically for you.

That revelation has reopened my eyes to this optimistic point of view. I’ve evolved from Nickelback’s “Gotta Be Somebody” to “Never Gonna Be Alone”.

Like Monty Python would say Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
“If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
don’t be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.
And...Always look on the bright side of life.

Lyrics just don’t get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment