Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oscars Good, Bad and Ugly


Yes, it’s my annual post that has nothing to do with music – indulge me for my usual Academy Awards rant.

Good
It was a good tribute to director, writer, producer John Hughes. I had no idea he was responsible for so many of the 80s teen movie classics (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Uncle Buck) tribute. Watching the movie clips with my teenage daughter was a hoot; we’re going to rent every one of them.

Writer Geoffrey Fletcher’s acceptance speech was so sincere. As the first African-American to get an Oscar for a screenplay, he really showed that writers have heart. I believe in you Geoffrey! Due to copyright issues I can't post the speech, but to see it click on here.

I have never been so excited to see a commercial, over and over again. I’m talking about the trailers for Russell Crowe’s new movie.

I can’t wait to see Robin Hood – it’s like Gladiator set in Sherwood Forest.

Bad
I can’t believe CTV’s terrible job of substituting the American signal. Commercial breaks cutting off parts of the show in more than one embarrassing occasions, plus bleeping out the swear words.
Judd Nelson – what happened to him?
The tribute to the deceased actors – again they screwed it up. These guys spent their lives in the movies; give them the credit they deserve. Don’t they know by now not to start with a big actor because he stupid camerawork still has to figure out what’s going on? So no one saw Patrick Swayze – and why the hell would they have Michael Jackson and NOT Farrah Fawcett? She was in more movies than Jacko, who can forget Cannonball Run. I wonder if Corey Haim will get any recognition next year. I loved the Lost Boys.

The Ugly
Sandy Powell, winner of Best costume design wins the most ungrateful acceptance speech. “I already have two of these” beeyotch.

Who was that bitch who rushed on stage and Kanye’d Roger Ross Williams’s acceptance speech? Elinor Burkett – “isn’t that the classic thing a man not letting the woman talk” if I knew you I wouldn’t let you talk either. Rumour has it that Williams’ 87-year-old mother tried to block her with a cane. Way to go granny!

No comments:

Post a Comment